Monday, July 22, 2013

Weird Book Covers; The Cover That Started It All

This is it. 

This is the book that inspired my starting this blog. You see I work in a used book store and I see hundreds, if not thousands of book covers in a day. There have been some pretty standard book covers but there have also been some pretty outlandish ones.






But this one was the one that got me wondering, "How many strange book covers have I seen?"/"How can I share this wackiness with the world?"
To the internet!
"So," you might ask, or not. I'm not you so I can't read your mind. "How did this book cover strike you as odd?"

Well actually, it struck me two ways. Odd was the first thought, but awesome was the second.

Odd because I'd never seen anything like it in my life. For those who can't see, it is a woman riding a giant metal/motorized fish in the desert with a whip. I later found out she is at an event held in the Nevada desert called Burning Man. If you don't know anything about Burning Man, I suggest you check it out. If your at work, and deiced to Google Image it, please turn your safety on.

What made it amazing was the inspiration the cover exuded. Not only was this a strong happy woman doing something incredibly adventurous, but it looked fun, and funny too! I want to know how the heck she got to know about this! I want to know what other funny adventures are in this book! Hell, I want to read this book!

(I haven't because I don't have the dough.)

It is the most perfect cover really. More often then not, on female travel blogs its got some  chick in a fancy European city, (Or Tuscany) and she's starring meaningfully out at the skyline. They're not heaps of inspiring to me. I can do that any time. Put me in a nice coat and on a plane and I can look meaningfully at heaps of city skylines. This was different. This was on real travel, the down and dirty, fun adventure that most girls/women are really wanting to sink their teeth into.

So, my final points based conclusion on how I see this book;

Weird: 4
Awesome: 5
Unique: 5
Cheesy: 1
Fitting to the Book: 5

Conclusion: This book cover is weird but it wasn't off putting and made me want to read it!

1 comment: